GIRL JAM SLAM
The Girl Jam Slam is BACK for 2018 with a slight twist.
What remains the same is that this contest is about you, a buddy, and all the YAZZ!
What is different is that you will be asked to demonstrate versatility across a range of solo dancing speeds and styles – from slow and bluesy to mid-tempo jazz to hot charleston. We wanna see it all!
You enter as an individual and you bring your solo dancing A-game in the heats!
Then, get ready to play doubles! Judges will select eight dancers for the final battle who will be randomly paired up into four teams. Two teams will face each other in an epic dance off until there is only one team left to take the Cup - did someone say 1, 2, 3, POIIIIINNNNT?!
Both heats and finals will take place on Saturday 3rd March and the entire contest will be judged by a super-duper panel featuring members of our AGJ teaching team and friends.
Heats and finals will be danced to DJed music played by our wonderful contest DJ, Trevor Hutchison. A competitor’s meeting will be held on Saturday evening and there will be a cracker contest team looking after y’all.
You will be judged on your versatility, skill and repertoire across a range of solo jazz dance and music styles, as well as your team work and rapport in the finals. You may also include other solo styles such as soft shoe, tap and black bottom.
There are 24 places available in the heats with a final of 8 dancers.
- There will be two heats of up to 12 dancers per heat. Individuals will dance in an all skate format.
- Music may be in standard (4 x 8 counts) or blues phrasing (6 x 8 counts)
- The song, style and tempo will change during the heat to showcase your versatility.
- bpm range: approx. 100-250bpm
- Eight dancers will be selected by the judging panel to participate in the semi-finals.
- Dancers will be randomly paired up to create four teams who will dance off across two semi-final battles.
- In each semi-final battle there will be one short all-skate to warm up and shake off the nerves. Competitors will then dance one individual spotlight each (8 X 8 counts per dancer) and one team spotlight (16 X 8 counts per team), followed by an all in all-skate to finish the song.
- Music will be in standard phrasing (4 x 8 counts per phrase)
- bpm range: approx. 100-250bpm
- The winning team from each semi-final battle will be determined instantly by the judges in a “point to the winner” majority rules system. These two teams will then battle it out in the Girl Jam Grand Slam.
The Grand Slam
- Teams will battle it out in jam format, trading two phrase shines (8 X 8 counts) until the call comes to “all skate” (we reckon you’ll get about 3-4 shines each).
- Teams can choose to dance together the whole time or take turns with some individual spotlights.
- bpm range: approx. 100-250 bpm
- Music will be in standard phrasing (4 x 8 counts per phrase).
- The Grand Slam Champion team will be determined instantly by the judges in a “point to the winner” majority rules system.
Judges will consider the following elements in no particular order:
- Dancers display solo jazz, blues, and charleston repertoire, which may include soft shoe, tap and other vintage solo dances.
- Dancers display solo jazz and charleston repertoire. Tap, soft shoe...ok etc
- Dancing to the music
- Timing: rhythm and phrasing
- Teamwork: working well together as a partnership and interaction with other teams
- Performance: showmanship and entertainment
- Dance technique
- Spirit, spontaneity and creativity.
Each Grand Slam winner will win: TBC
Each Grand Slam runner up will win: TBC
Audience Choice Award
Awarded to a finalist as chosen by the people for bringin’ the magic to the Girl Jam Slam.
- Contest format – At any time prior to the contest, 1929 Studios reserves the right to determine the order and/or format of the contest and whether or not a division will consist of a Heat, Semi-Final and a Grand Final. This decision will be communicated as soon as possible on the website via facebook, email or through announcements at the event.
- BPM: Bpm ranges are only a guide and may vary on the night.
- Eligibility to compete – Dancers enter individually. They will be paired up in finals.
- Competitors NOT having a full pass, party pass or day pass will have to buy a ticket at the door.
- Cancellation of contest entry fee – Please refer to the AUSSIE GJ CANCELLATION POLICY